2007/07/30

Non Crystalline Diffraction

What kind of experiments can we do in a synchrotron? As far as I know, the beam lines receive the synchrotron light as an X-ray photons. The energy of this light normally is lower that the one used in the common medicine x-ray 'to see yous bones'.

In a basic way, there are two types of beam lines in a synchrotron, doing this differentiation with the energy of the used x-rays. If the used x-rays are from the order of electronVolts (eV), this is a low energy beam line, but with the order of KiloelectronVolts (keV). Remember that, the light (photons), and the matter in general, can be described as punctual particles, like also can be described as an electromagnetic wave. What does it mean the x-ray energy? It means, at more energy, more wave frequency, and smaller things you have the possibility to see. But not for the all experimentation is interesting to have the highest energy.

Why I write this post? Because until now I only work in the synchrotron machine control, and now I have assigned one beam line to construct on it all the control software. Until now, my developments had sense in the machine electron beam section, the accelerator itself. But now, upper that this I will work with x-rays. 'My' beam line will be this 'Non Crystalline Diffraction', a 6.5keV to 13keV beam line.

An alternative differentiation between beam lines is how the experiment use the x-rays. That is like ask where are the experiment observer. In this beam line, that I dare to calling mine, take photographs of the diffracted light from the illuminated source. I will learn more about this type of beam lines, then I will write with a collection of knowledge (that I will have acquired).

No comments: