2008/04/19

Higgs field

In this moment when I am compiling my compiler, I am reading something about the Higgs field in 'Investigación y Ciencia' (the two months delayed Spanish version of Scientific American). With the sentence "In quantum theory, quantities such as mass are not set once and for all but are modified by quantum effects.", from the article "The incoming revolutions in particle physics", an interesting point came back to my mind.

There are many places where you can read, for example this article, from where the mass can come or if the mass is from the particle itself or it is a result with the Higgs field. But what came back was the question why the values of the mass are this ones and not another ones. Are they arbitrary selected or it has a reason.

As far as I can understand from this article, the Higgs boson mass/energy has to have a big relation with this values. Correct me if I am wrong but this should be one of the reasons why we need to turn on the LHC. The point where I am becoming really disoriented is when they talk about the Technicolor, and how to understand the Higgs is not fundamental itself but is made by a conjunction of pieces that we, probably, already know.

Really huge phenomenons are waiting to be discovered when this machine starts to produce de amazing torrents of data. Believe that Grid will be able to chew this information.

No comments: